For any concerns regarding admission and registration, as well as requests related to your residency in the CSS degree programs, you can contact the Office of the College Secretary at . If you are interested in our graduate programs, you can contact the Graduate Program Office for your concerns through their email address at, through their website, or through their Facebook page.

You can also check the UPB Student Handbook and the CSS’s Admission page for more information.

What is GWA?

The GWA is your General Weighted Average. It is used to evaluate your overall scholastic standing. Computation of GWA at a particular level (i.e., undergraduate, master’s, doctoral) is based on grades in all subjects taken at that level including those taken in previous programs (in cases where students shifted from another program) or subjects taken outside of the curriculum for enrichment purposes.

What is CWA?

CWA is the Curriculum Weighted Average and is used as the basis for evaluating admission of undergraduate students shifting to a new program. Computation is based only on the grades of the students in courses that will be credited in the new program. This will be applied to regular students and non-majors shifting to a new program.

What is CWAG?

CWAG is the Cumulative Weighted Average Grade and is another way of evaluating students’ scholastic standing at the graduate level.

How do I transfer?

Whether transferring within UP or from other Universities and Colleges, you can check more information on the Admissions page.

How do I drop a subject?

A student may, with the consent of his/her instructor and the Dean, drop a subject by filling out the prescribed UP Form 26 before ¾ of the hours prescribed for the semester have lapsed, and not later. Any student who drops a course without the approval of the Dean shall have his/her registration privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn. If a subject is dropped after the middle of the term, the faculty member concerned shall indicate the date and the class standing of the student at the time of dropping as either “Passing” or “Failing” solely for administrative guidance.

How do I clear my grade of “Incomplete” or “4”?

Examinations for the completion or removal of grades of “Incomplete (INC)” or “4” may be taken without fee: (1) during the regular examination period, if the subject is included in the schedule of examinations, and (2) during the removal examination period, viz., the period covering ten days preceding the registration in each semester during which case, the examination is taken at the time it is scheduled.


Visit the Admissions page for more information.

What is LOA?

A student who does not intend to enroll in a semester may apply for a leave of absence (LOA). This also applies to a student currently enrolled and who intends to withdraw his/her enrollment for the rest of the semester. A student on leave of absence does not sever his/her ties with the University.

What happens if I file for a LOA?

A leave of absence should be requested in a written petition to the Dean. The petition should state the reason for which the leave is desired and specify the period of the leave. The leave should not exceed one year, but may be renewed for at most another year. When not taken in two successive years, the aggregate leave of absence should not exceed two years.


For leave of absence availed during the second half of the semester, the faculty members concerned shall be required to indicate the class standing (passing or failing) of the student at the time of the application for the leave. No application for leave of absence shall be approved without indication of the student’s class standing by the instructors concerned. This, however, should not be entered in the Official Report of Grades. Students who withdraw after 3/4 of the total amount of hours prescribed for the course has already lapsed, may be given a grade of “5” if their class standing up to the time of their withdrawal is below “3.”


No leave of absence shall be granted later than two weeks before the last day of classes during the semester. If the inability to continue with classes is due to illness or similar justifiable causes, the student’s absence during this period shall be considered excused. In such cases, the student shall be required to present an excuse slip to the faculty members concerned.


Students who withdraw from the College without formal leave of absence shall have their registration privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn.

How do I file for a LOA?
  1. Submit LOA Application.  A student wishing to be officially on leave must submit his/her application on or before the set deadline. Any unpaid LOA application may be canceled any time. The student is considered officially on leave upon completion of the whole process. Module to use: Application for LOA
  2. Submit Class Standing. Instructor needs to submit the standing of the student in order for the student’s LOA application to progress. This is only required for enrolled students submitting applications during or after midterm date (depending on the academic term type of the student); otherwise the student proceeds to the next step. Module to use: Student Standing
  3. Advise Students. The student must then secure his/her adviser’s approval for the application to proceed. Module to use: LOA Advising
  4. Department Endorsement. The student must then be endorsed by his/her Department Chair or UG/G Program Director, whichever is applicable. This is only required for units with departments. Module to use: LOA Department Endorsement
  5. College Approval and Print LOA Form. The student then goes to his/her college to have his/her LOA application granted and printed. The college reserves the right to approve or disapprove the student’s application. Module to use: LOA Approval and Form Printing
  6. Dean’s Signature. The student must have his/her LOA application signed by the College Dean.
  7. Payment. The student proceeds to the Cashier’s Office to pay the LOA fee, currently ₱ 150.00. The student is officially on leave once the fee is paid. Those on LOA extensions need not pay but must submit their signed applications to the OUR for them to be tagged as paid.
What is MRR?

The Maximum Residence Rule or MRR: an undergraduate student must finish the requirements of a course within a period of actual residence equivalent to 1 ½ times the normal length prescribed for the course; otherwise, he/she shall not be allowed to register further.

Can I apply for readmission?

Yes. Applications for readmission on the undergraduate level must be filed with the Committee on Admission, Readmission, and Student Progress for proper action and recommendation to the Chancellor. The deadline for such an application is set in the academic calendar for each academic year.

How do I apply for readmission?
  1. You need to prepare the following:
    • a letter of appeal for readmission with supporting documents (if necessary) stating reason/s for the appeal addressed to the Committee on Admission, Readmission and Student Progress (CARSP)
    • Medical certificate stating that the student is fit to return to school (if applicable)
    • Other pertinent documents that may support the appeal
    • True copy of grades (TCG)
    • For Permanent Disqualification (PD), submit official certification from teachers concerned stating the reason for failing grades. Get Referral Slip from the Office of the University Registrar (OUR)
  2. Email your application documents to

You may need to visit UP Baguio’s website and Facebook pages to stay tuned for the links to the forms you’ll need and the deadline of submission.

What is the retention rate for CSS students?

Yes. Click here to see more information on the BASS and the BSME retention policies.

How do I shift?

The College of Social Sciences allows shifting to majors and minors only once. MRR (Maximum Residence Rule) requirements shall be taken into account before the student shall be admitted as a shiftee to the BASS Program. Visit our Admissions page to know more information on shifting.

Is there a tutoring program available in the college?

UP Baguio has a Learning Resource Center that offers peer-assisted tutorials and enrichment services mostly in Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Computer Science and English. Unfortunately, the LRC doesn’t offer tutorial lessons for Social Science subjects and there aren’t any official tutoring programs under the College of Social Sciences.


However, you might be interested in connecting with the College’s student academic organizations who serve as your peers in the different CSS disciplines. They host and conduct activities that promote academic excellence, awareness, and knowledge-dissemination through lectures, seminars, as well as activities that aim to discuss current issues and disciplinal topics.


You can learn more about our student organizations here.

Does the college have wifi and high-speed internet facilities?

Yes. In preparation for the upcoming Blended Learning model for the next academic year, all classrooms of the College of Social Sciences have their own internet routers. The whole UPB campus is also connected to the DICT’s Free Wifi for all.


While Free Wifi for all is easily accessible, students who will attend the face-to-face classes may need to register their devices at the Systems Network Office before they can connect to the CSS’s wifi networks.

What are the facilities available on campus like laboratories, gymnasium and library?

Students of the College of Social Sciences have access to the many facilities and learning laboratories on campus. This includes the Main Library, the Cordillera and Northern Luzon Archives, the Graduate Resource Center and the computer lab.